Musée franco-américain du Château de Blérancourt (C) RMN-GP / G. Blot

The Site During the Medieval Era (11th-16th centuries)

Vue aérienne
© Balloide


It has long been believed that the château of Salomon de Brosse was built ex nihilo on the site between 1612 and 1619. However, a text from 1612 mentions the demolition of two towers to enable the new construction of the building.

The hypothesis of a previous occupation has recently been confirmed by the successive excavation campaigns carried out between 2003 and 2007 as part of the museum renovation works.

Archaeologists from the National Institute for Preventive Archaeological Research have unearthed a 13th-century medieval curtain wall, vestiges of a 14th-century fortified house, a late 16th-century bridge with four arches and the remains of the cellars of the 17th-century château.

These archaeological structures, especially the cellars, have been incorporated into the visitor circuit in the renovated museum and are visible from the internal staircase.

Outside, a garden accentuates the medieval remains.

© Musée franco-américain du Château de Blérancourt / M. Poirier